e hënë, 11 qershor 2007

A Suitable Boy

Title: A Suitable Boy

Author: Vikram Seth

Pages: a whopping 1474

Started/finished: May 23-June 11 (20 days!!!)

My rating: 4.75/5

Why I read this book: It was a Bookies group read; also counts towards the Around the World in 80 Books challenge.

Setting of the book: 1950's India--mostly in Brahmpur and Calcutta

Plot of the book: Mrs. Rupa Mehra is determined to get her 19 year old daughter, Lata, married to a suitable boy. Lata however has other ideas, much to her mother's dismay. Other family members and friends (Savita, Maan, Pran, etc.) also have various issues going on in their lives.

What I liked about this book: Loved the imagery of India! The descriptions of the land was beautiful, as well as the description of the Ganges River. I also liked how the characters all interacted together, and how the "society" of the book worked.

What I didn't like about this book: There wasn't anything I didn't like. However, the chapters involving politics got a little long for me (just not my taste).

Would I recommend this book to others?: Yes! Especially anyone interested in India.

Nuk ka komente: