e mërkurë, 13 qershor 2007

A Thousand Splendid Suns

Title: A Thousand Splendid Suns

Author: Khaled Hosseini

Pages: 367

Started/Finished: June 11-June 13

My rating: 4/5

Why I read this book: I really enjoyed The Kite Runner; also it's a Bookies group read and counts towards the Around the World in 80 Books challenge.

Setting: Afghanistan 1960s-2000s

Plot: Two women surving under various regimes in urban Afghanistan (Kabul).

What I liked about this book: The plot was very engaging, and moves along quickly. I also enjoyed the descriptions of Afghanistan.

What I didn't like: I wasn't overly impressed with the writing. Also, I thought the book *somewhat* predictable. Characters are a bit stereotypical. Plus it's a very short book to span 30+ years; the reader doesn't get much detail.

Would I recommed this book: Yes, for anyone looking for a fast and interesting read.

2 komente:

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity tha...

I've heard really good things about this book, so I was a little surprised about your review. What was it about the writing that you didn't like? I'm reading it for an upcoming challenge, though (and I loved the Kite Runner).

1morechapter tha...

I need to read Kite Runner first, and then I'll probably want to read this as well.